Adrienne's Italian Beef Stew
Serves/Yields: 4-6 people
Prep. Time: 20 minutes at most
Cook Time: 2 hours
- 5 T. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 1/2 lbs. cubed Stew Meat
- 1 medium Onion very finely sliced
- 2 Carrots chopped
- 3 T. finely chopped flat-leaf Parsley
- 1 Clove Garlic chopped
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 sprigs of fresh Thyme (or 1/2 t. dried)
- 1 large Sweet Red Pepper sliced into strips
- 1 pinch ground Nutmeg
- 1 C. Red Wine
- 1- 14oz. can of Plum Tomatoes chopped with their juices
- 1/2 C. Beef Stock
- 15 Black Olives
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
1. Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.
2. In large pan (Dutch oven is best), heat 3 T. olive oil. Brown meat a little at a time (in bunches). Brown on all sides and remove all meat from pan.
3. Add remaining 2 T. olive oil, onions and carrots. Cook on low heat till softened.
4. Add parsley and garlic. Cook 3-4 minutes.
5. Return meat to pan. Turn up heat and mix well.
6. Stir in bay leaf, nutmeg, and thyme.
7. Add wine, bring to boil and cook (stirring) 4-5 minutes.
8. Stir in tomatoes, broth, olives, and salt & pepper. Mix well.
9. Cover mixture and place in center of oven. Bake 1-½ hours.
10. Remove mixture from oven. Stir in peppers and place back into oven UNCOVERED for 30 minutes.
**If you do not have a Dutch oven, then make stew on top of stove in large frying pan (chicken fryer) and then pour into large casserole dish or roasting pan for the baking time.