General Tao's Chicken
- 1pound1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/4cup1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce, divided*
- 1/4cup1/4 cup cornstarch, divided
- 1large1 large egg white
- 1(1-inch) piece1 (1-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger
- 2cloves2 cloves garlic
- broccoli spears
- chinese mushrooms
- water chestnuts
- 2medium2 medium scallions, whites and greens separated
- 1cup1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1teaspoon1 teaspoon sriracha sauce, plus more for serving
- 3tablespoons3 tablespoons hoisin*
- 1tablespoon1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- sesame seeds, for garnish
In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 3 tablespoons cornstarch and egg white. Toss to combine and set aside while you chop the vegetables. steam broccoli.
Mince the garlic and ginger and chop the scallions. Separate the scallion whites from the greens and set aside greens for garnish.
Heat a small sauce pot over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon of sesame oil, ginger, garlic and scallion whites. Sauté for 1 minute. Add the chicken broth, remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce, sriracha, and hoisin and whisk to combine. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch and whisk sauce until starting to thicken, about 2 minutes. Once thickened, turn heat to low and keep warm while you make the chicken.
Heat a large wok or non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. In two batches to prevent sticking, add 1/2 tablespoon of sesame oil then half of the chicken pieces. Cook chicken for 3-4 minutes, or until browned on the edges. Flip chicken and cook an additional 2-3 minutes, or until cooked through. Set aside on a plate and add the remaining oil and chicken as directed.
Return the chicken back to the skillet or wok, add the sauce to the skillet and toss to coat. add broccoli and other vegetables. Serve immediately with extra sriracha, if desired.