Blue Cornmeal Bread
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups blue cornmeal (available at natural foods stores and specialty foods stores or use yellow cornmeal)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup pine nuts toasted
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels thawed, drained
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter 13- by 9- by 2-inch glass baking dish.
Whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar, pine nuts, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl to blend. Whisk milk, vegetable oil, eggs and buttermilk in medium bowl to blend. Add milk mixture to dry ingredients and whisk until just blended. Fold in corn kernels.
Pour batter into prepared dish. Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cut bread into 2-inch squares and serve warm.
This recipe yields about 28 pieces.
This sweet corn bread is best served warm. If you can't find blue cornmeal, don't worry: Yellow cornmeal works well, too.