(Bánh Mì) VIETNAMESE CHICKEN/PORK SANDWICH
- PICKLED VEGETABLES:
- 1/2cup1/2 cup water
- 1/2cup1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2cup1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2teaspoons2 teaspoons salt
- 6ounces6 ounces daikon, thinly sliced (about 1/4 inch thick)
- 6ounces6 ounces carrots, thinly sliced (about 1/4 inch thick)
- 4ounces4 ounces cucumbers, thinly sliced (about 1/4 inch thick
- 1lb.1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 3cloves3 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 2tablespoons2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2tablespoons2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1tablespoon1 tablespoon sugar
- 1tablespoon1 tablespoon mayo (plus more for spreading)
- 1/2teaspoon1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1-2teaspoons1-2 teaspoons sriracha (optional)
- 4-54-5 Vietnamese bread rolls or French baguettes
- sliced jalapeños
- CanCan use pork tenderloin or pork roast instead of chicken.
1. PICKLED VEGETABLES: Combine the water, rice vinegar, sugar, and salt and stir until the sugar dissolves. Add the daikon, carrots, and cucumbers to a large mason jar. Pour the pickling liquid over veggies, screw on the lid, and allow the vegetables to pickle in the refrigerator for at least one hour and up to 24 hours in advance.
2. CHICKEN: Combine the garlic, fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar, mayo, lime zest, and sriracha (if using) in a medium bowl. Add the chicken, cover and allow to marinate for at least 20 minutes or up to 24 hours. Cook the chicken on an indoor grill or outdoor grill until cooked through. The time will vary depending on the thickness of the chicken breasts. Allow chicken to cool for 5 minutes before slicing.
3. ASSEMBLE BANH MI: Toast the baguettes if desired, spread mayonnaise on bread and top with chicken slices, pickled vegetables, cilantro leaves, and jalapeño slices. Serve warm.