White Bean, Potato, And Arugula Soup
- 2 1/3 cups Great Northern beans - (abt 1 lb)
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1 large russet potato peeled, and cut into 1/2" pieces - (abt 2 cups)
- 10 garlic cloves chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock or more if needed (or canned low-salt chicken broth)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- PARMESAN OIL:
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese - (packed) abt 2 1/2 oz
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bunches arugula tough stems removed, cut into 1" strips - (abt 3 cups)
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
For Soup: Place Great Northern beans in large pot. Pour enough water over beans to cover by 4 inches. Let soak overnight. Drain beans and return to pot. Pour enough water over beans to cover by 4 inches. Add 2 bay leaves and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add 3 tablespoons olive oil and fresh rosemary sprigs and simmer uncovered until beans are barely tender, about 30 minutes.
Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in another large pot over medium heat. Add russet potato pieces and sauté until brown in spots, about 8 minutes. Add half of garlic and sauté until beginning to color, about 3 minutes. Add 6 cups chicken stock and boil until potato pieces are falling apart, about 10 minutes.
Pour beans and cooking liquid into potato mixture. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer just until beans are tender, about 10 minutes. Season soup generously with salt and pepper. (Soup can be prepared up to 2 days ahead. Cool slightly, then cover and refrigerate. Bring to simmer before continuing, thinning with additional chicken stock if necessary.)
For Parmesan Oil: Blend 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese and 1/4 cup olive oil in processor until smooth. (Parmesan oil an be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover oil and refrigerate.)
Stir 2 bunches arugula into soup. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in heavy small skillet over medium heat. Add remaining chopped garlic and dried crushed red pepper; sauté until golden. Add to soup and simmer 5 minutes. Stir Parmesan oil into soup. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.
This recipe yields 8 first-course or 4 main-course servings.
Start this recipe a day ahead so that there's time for the beans to soak overnight.
You'll also love
- Oven-Roasted Smoked Sausage &... 4.1/5 (959 Votes)
- St. Patrick's Day Spinach Pancakes... 4.5/5 (120 Votes)
- Grilled Calamari & Arugula Salad 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Roasted Carrot Salad with Arugula,... 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Tarragon Roast Turkey With Vermouth 0/5 (0 Votes)
- New England Seafood Chowder 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Mashed Potatoes With Green Onions... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pasta With Butternut Squash And... 0/5 (0 Votes)