Veal With Eggplant And Prosciutto
- 6 tablespoons butter - (3/4 stick)
- 4 cups chopped stemmed shiitake mushrooms (abt 8 oz)
- 2 cups chopped seeded tomatoes
- 1/2 cup minced green onions
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 4 slices prosciutto, 1/16"-thk
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 4 veal scallops - (2 1/2 oz ea)
- 4 slices provolone cheese - (6" by 3")
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and tomatoes; sauté 5 minutes. Add onions; sauté 1 minute. Add wine and simmer until liquid is absorbed, about 6 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons butter. Season with salt and pepper.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut four 1/2-inch-thick lengthwise slices from center of eggplant. Mix oil and 2 teaspoons rosemary; brush over both sides of eggplant slices. Place slices on baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake until tender, about 5 minutes per side. Top each eggplant slice with prosciutto slice. Set aside. Maintain oven temperature.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over high heat. Add garlic and 1 teaspoon rosemary; sauté 2 minutes. Sprinkle veal with salt and pepper. Add to skillet and sauté until just cooked through, about 1 minute per side.
Place 1 veal scallop atop each eggplant slice. Spoon mushroom mixture atop veal; top with cheese. Bake until cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
This recipe yields 4 servings.