Red Velvet Cake with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 bottle (1 oz.) red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F.
2. Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
3. Beat butter and sugar on high speed for five to seven minutes.
4. Beat in eggs one at a time.
5. Mix in sour cream, milk, food color, and vanilla.
6. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed. Do NOT overbeat.
7. Pour batter into two greased 9-inch cake pans.
8. Bake 35-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
For the Icing:
1. Beat 8 oz. cream cheese with 4 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons sour cream.
2. Add two teaspoons vanilla extract.
3. Gradually beat in one pound of powdered sugar.