(Crockpot) Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 1/2 - 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1/4 cup maple-flavor syrup
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 14 ounce cans chicken broth
- 1 cupwater
- 1/2 cuphalf-and-half, light cream, or milk
- Crisp-cooked crumbled bacon (optional)
- Sliced green onion (optional)
1. In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine sweet potatoes, onion, maple-flavor syrup, garlic, sage, salt, and pepper.
Pour broth and the water over all.
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours.
3. Using a potato masher, mash the soup until desired consistency.*
Whisk in half-and-half until well mixed.
If desired, sprinkle each serving with crumbled bacon and green onion. Makes 6 servings.
For a smoother texture, use an immersion blender to puree the soup.