Mac and cheese for 2
- 1 1 1 cup pasta, with nooks & crannies for holding the sauce
- 2 2 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄4 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped finely
- 2 2 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1 1 cup milk
- 1 1 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄3 1⁄3 cup sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
- 1 1⁄2 1⁄2 teaspoon chives, chopped, mostly for colour
- 1 1⁄4 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
Preheat oven at 350°F.
Cook pasta in boiling salted water until al-dente. Drain and set aside.
Heat the milk in the microwave, on high for 1-1/2 minutes.
In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Add salt, pepper and chopped onion. Sauté on medium heat, until the onion is transparent and soft, but not brown.
Sprinkle the flour on top, and allow the butter to absorb some of it before stirring.
Add the hot milk in 3 additions, stirring constantly. The mixture will get thick very quickly.
After the final addition of milk, continue heating the mixture, on medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick and bubbly.
*Remove from heat* and stir in the grated cheese, chives and red pepper flakes.
Add the drained pasta and mix well.
Fold in the cubed cheese.
Pour into two greased onion soup bowls.
Bake for 20 - 25 minutes.
Allow to cool a bit before serving.