Chocolate Wafer Cookies, GF
These thin and crispy gluten free chocolate wafer cookies are rich and chocolatey and perfect for making all sorts of no-bake warm-weather treats, from icebox cakes to cookie crusts. Stock up for summer!
- 1 3/4 1 3/4 3/4 cups (245 g) all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 3/4 3/4 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum (omit if your blend already contains it)
- 1/2 1/2 1/8 cup (40 g) unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder + 1/8 tsp. Baking Sodas if using non-Dutch Process Cocoa
- 3/4 3/4 3/4 cup (150 g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 1/4 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 8 8 tablespoons (112 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1 1 egg (50 g, weighed out of shell) at room temperature, beaten
- 1 1/2 1 1/2 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Adapted from glutenfreeonashoestring.com
Preheat your oven to 325°F. Line rimmed baking sheets with unbleached parchment paper and set them aside.
In a large bowl, place the flour, xanthan gum, cocoa powder, sugar and salt, and whisk to combine well. Add the butter, egg, and vanilla, and mix until the ingredients are mostly combined. With clean hands, knead the dough until smooth. If necessary to bring all of the dough together, add 1 teaspoonful of lukewarm water and knead it in. Divide the dough into two equal parts, and roll each out between two sheets of unbleached parchment paper until the dough is 1/8 inch thick (the thickness of a nickel), no thinner. Pull back the top sheet of parchment paper on one piece of dough.
With a round 2 1/4-inch cookie cutter, cut out rounds as close to one another as possible. Remove the surrounding dough, and set it aside. Transfer the rounds to the prepared baking sheets, and place them about 1/2-inch apart (they will not spread during baking). Gather the scraps, roll them out again, and cut more rounds. Repeat with the second piece of dough.
Place the baking sheets, one at a time, in the center of the preheated oven and bake, rotating once during baking, for 8 minutes or until the cookies spring back when pressed lightly in the center. Remove the baking sheet from the oven, and allow to cool on the baking sheet until firm. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.