HOMEMADE APPLE PIE FILLING
- HOMEMADE APPLE PIE FILLING
- 6 6 6 CUPSTOTAL TIME:30 minutes plus chill timePREP TIME:15 minutesCOOK TIME:15 minutes
- Homemade Apple Pie Filling – this easy recipe takes just a few minutes and tastes so much better than canned pie filling! Keep it in your freezer for when you want pie filling ASAP!
- 4 4 4 cups apples (peeled, cored, and diced)
- 1/2 of 1/2 a lemon
- 3 3 3 cups water
- 1 1/3 1 1/3 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 1/3 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 1 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 1/4 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 1/4 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Place apples in a large bowl and toss with lemon juice.
Place water, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg in a medium saucepan. Stir to combine then bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often. Once the mixture boils, boil it for two minutes. Add the apples, turn to a simmer, and cover. Cook, stirring often, until the apples soften, about 5-8 minutes.
Pour into jars to cool to room temperature then cover and refrigerate. The mixture will thicken more as it cools.
Store in an airtight freezable container for up to one month, or in the refrigerator for no more than 5 days.