Southwestern Stuffed Peppers
With Beef, Quinoa, and Monterey Jack Cheese
- 2 Chicken Stock Concentrate
- 1 Cup Quinoa
- 2 Yellow Onion
- 4 Scallions
- 2 Limes
- 16 oz Ground Beef
- 2 tsp Southwest Spice Blend
- 4 Bell Peppers
- 28 ounces of Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 cup Monterey Jack Cheese
- 4 tsp Olive oil
1. Preheat the oven and cook the quinoa: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bring 1 cup salted water and stock concentrate to a boil in a small pot. Once boiling, add quinoa. Cover and reduce to a low simmer until tender, 15-20 minutes.
2. Prep: Wash and dry all produce. Meanwhile, halve, peel, and dice onion. Thinly slice Scallions. Cut lime into wedges.
3. Start the filling: Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and scallions, and toss until softened, 4-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add ground beef, and break up into pieces until browned, 3-4 minutes. Stir in Southwest spice blend, and cook another 30 seconds. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4 Prep the Peppers: Halve bell peppers lengthwise, and remove veins and seeds. Place on a baking sheet, and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake until softened, 5-7 minutes.
5 Finish the filling" Add crushed tomatoes to beef, and simmer 5 minutes to meld flavors. Stir in cooked quinoa, and season with salt and pepper.
6 Bake and serve: Fill peppers with as much filling as possible, and sprinkle with Monterey Jack cheese. Bake until peppers are very soft, about 10 minutes. Serve with a wedge of lime for squeezing over. Serve leftover filling on the side and enjoy!