Sauteed Greek Chicken
- 4 BL/SL chicken breasts, trimmed and scored on top
- 1/2 cup olive oil (plus a little more for cooking chicken)
- 1/2 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 - 3 TBS chopped fresh oregano (or 1 tsp dried oregano)
- 1 - 2 tsp finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1 cup chopped grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup sliced Kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup crumbles Feta cheese
- Salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 180mins
1) Trim any visible fat or undesirable parts from each chicken breast, then score the top with small diagonal cuts that criss-cross, being careful not to cut too far into the chicken so you can still turn them when you cook.
2) Mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, oregano and minced garlic. Remove 1/4 cup of that mixture and set aside for the topping later.
3) Put scored chicken pieces into a glass baking dish or zip top bag and marinate in the refrigerator at least one hour or as long as all day.
4) When you're ready to cook, take the chicken out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature while you cut up the olives and tomatoes. Gently mix together the cut tomatoes, olives, crumbled Feta and reserved marinade.
5) Heat about 1 tsp additional olive oil in a lrg heavy frying pan over med-high heat. Remove chicken from the marinade and arrange in frying pan so they aren't crowded, scored side down. Cook 3 - 4 mins on the top side, or until nicely brown, then turn and cook another 3 - 4 mins on the second side. Chicken should feel firm (but not hard) to the touch when it's done. (165 degrees F internal temperature).
6) Season chicken to taste with salt and pepper.
7) Arrange chicken on a platter or on individual service plates and spoon over the tomato, olive and Feta topping, Serve hot.