Breaded Chicken & Mozzarella with Basil
- 1/2 1/2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 3 3 large eggs
- 2 2 2 cups plain dry bread crumbs
- 2 2 2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 4 4 to 1/4 boneless skin-on chicken thighs, pounded to 1/4 inch thickness
- 1/2 1/2 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 1/2 1/4-inch pound fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 4 4 4 hoagie rolls, split and toasted
- 1/2 1/2 1/2 cup torn fresh basil leaves
1. Put the flour in a shallow bowl and season well with salt and pepper. Put the eggs in another shallow bowl and beat lightly. In a third shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs and parmesan and season well with salt and pepper.
2. Put a large skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge each piece of chicken in the flour, coating both sides well. Shake off the excess. Dip the chicken into the beaten eggs, allowing the excess to drip off. Finally, coat the chicken in the bread crumbs.
4. Pour the oil into the pan. Add all four pieces of chicken skin-side down and cook until golden brown about 2 minutes. Flip and cook until the other side is browned and the chicken is almost cooked through, about 2 minutes. Top each piece of chicken with mozzarella, cover and cook until the cheese is melted, about 1 minute.
5. Put the chicken onto the buns, top with fresh basil and serve.