Shrimp Phyllo Purses With Tomato Chermoula Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped green onions
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 12 ounces uncooked medium shrimp peeled, deveined, and coarsely chopped
- 1 ounce bean thread noodles soaked in hot water
- for 20 minutes, drained, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 9 sheets frozen phyllo pastry, 17" by 13" thawed
- 1/2 cup butter - (1 stick) melted
- 6 teaspoons plain dried breadcrumbs
- 6 fresh chives
- Tomato Chermoula Sauce (see recipe)
Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add green onions, garlic, cumin, and paprika and sauté until onions begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add shrimp and sauté until cooked through, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in minced bean threads, cilantro, parsley, and lemon juice. Season filling with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Lightly butter large baking sheet. Stack phyllo sheets on work surface. Cut sheets in half crosswise to form eighteen 13- by 8 1/2-inch rectangles. Stack all rectangles. Using 8-inch-diameter plate as guide, trace circle atop phyllo stack. Cut all phyllo sheets, forming eighteen 8-inch-diameter rounds. Cover rounds with damp paper towel to prevent drying.
Place 1 phyllo round on work surface; brush with melted butter. Top with second phyllo round; brush with melted butter. Top with third phyllo round; brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon breadcrumbs. Place 1/6 of filling in center of phyllo. Enclose filling by gathering phyllo and carefully twisting top to form purse.
Transfer phyllo purse to prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining phyllo rounds, melted butter, breadcrumbs, and filling, forming 6 phyllo purses total. Brush phyllo purses with butter. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake phyllo purses until golden and heated through, about 12 minutes. Carefully tie 1 chive around twisted section of each phyllo purse, forming knot. Transfer 1 phyllo purse to each of 6 plates. Spoon some Tomato Chermoula Sauce around each phyllo purse and serve.
This recipe yields 6 servings.