- 3/4 3/4 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 2 2 lg egg whites, at room temperature
- 3 3 3 tbsp cold water
- 2 2 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 1/4 1/4 tsp coconut extract
- 1/4 1/4 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- pinch pinch of salt
- toasted coconut flakes, for topping
whisk the sugar, egg whites, water, vanilla and coconut extracts, cream of tartar and salt in a large heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water (do not let the bowl touch the water). keeping the bowl over the simmering water, beat with a hand mixer on medium-high speed until thick, glossy stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes. remove the bowl from the pan and beat until slightly cooled, about 30 seconds.
after frosting the cake, making peaks with the back of a spoon, toast the frosting with a kitchen torch until lightly browned top with toasted coconut flakes.