Roasted Vegetable And Chestnut Stuffing
- 16 ounces sliced sourdough bread with crusts cut 1/2" pieces, - (abt 14 cups)
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 1 pound onions cut 3/4" pieces
- 4 medium parsnips - (abt 15 oz) peeled, and cut into 1/2" pieces
- 2 large red bell peppers cut 3/4" pieces
- 1 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms stemmed, and caps cut into 1" pieces
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 10 tablespoons butter melted
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 jars whole roasted chestnuts - (7.4 oz ea) quartered, - (abt 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 large eggs
- Canned low-salt chicken broth
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place bread in large roasting pan. Bake until golden, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Transfer bread to very large bowl; cool. Maintain oven temperature.
Spray 2 large rimmed baking sheets with nonstick spray. Combine onions, parsnips, peppers, mushrooms, rosemary, and 4 tablespoons butter in large bowl; toss to coat. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Divide vegetable mixture between prepared baking sheets. Roast until vegetables are tender and beginning to brown, stirring every 10 minutes, about 35 minutes total.
Add roasted vegetables to bowl with bread. Add chestnuts, parsley, and remaining 6 tablespoons melted butter; stir to blend. Season stuffing to taste with salt and pepper. Mix eggs into stuffing.
To bake stuffing in turkey: Loosely fill neck and main cavities of turkey with stuffing. Add enough broth to remaining stuffing to moisten slightly (1/4 to 3/4 cup, depending on amount of remaining stuffing). Generously butter baking dish. Spoon remaining stuffing into prepared dish. Cover with buttered foil, buttered-side down. Bake stuffing in dish along side turkey until heated through, about 25 minutes. Uncover stuffing. Bake until top of stuffing is slightly crisp and golden, about 15 minutes longer.
To bake all of stuffing in baking dish: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously butter 13- by 9- by 2-inch glass baking dish. Add enough extra broth to stuffing to moisten (3/4 cup to 1 1/4 cups). Transfer stuffing to prepared dish. Cover with buttered foil, buttered-side down. Bake until heated through, about 40 minutes. Uncover and bake until top is slightly crisp and golden, about 20 minutes longer.
This recipe yields 10 to 12 servings.