Edna Lewis's Roasted Okra With Field Peas, Tomatoes & Mint
- 1 1/2 cups mixed shelled fresh field peas such as black- eyed peas, crowder peas, and butter beans or Lima beans
- 1 lb fresh okra, trimmed & cut into 1/2 inch thick rounds
- 1 med onion, cut into 1/2 inch wedges
- 1/2 lb green beans, trimmed & halved lengthwise
- 2 tomatoes cut into wedges
- 3 lg garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
If using fresh peas, blanch 2 min. In boiling water & immediately plunge into an ice bath to cool. Drain & spread on towels to dry. If using frozen veggies, let them thaw in a colander & dry.
Preheat oven to 425 F. In a lg. bowl, combine all ingredients. Toss to mix well. Turn out into a well-oiled jelly-roll pan & roast 8 min. Turn veggies with a spatula. Return to the oven & roast until tender, about 4 min. longer. Taste for seasoning & serve hot. Serves 6.