Pear, Onion, And Dry Jack Cheese Strudels
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter - (3/4 stick)
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 Bosc pear peeled, halved, cored, and sliced
- 3/4 cup grated dry Jack cheese - (packed) see * Note
- 3 teaspoons whole grain Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 sheets frozen phyllo pastry thawed
* Note: You can use a mixture of 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese and 1/4 cup grated sharp white cheddar cheese.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until brown, about 7 minutes. Add pear and sauté 3 minutes. Transfer pear mixture to medium bowl. Cool slightly. Stir in cheese, mustard and salt.
Melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter in small saucepan over medium heat. Place 1 phyllo sheet on work surface. (Cover remaining phyllo with plastic wrap and damp kitchen towel.) Brush with melted butter. Top with second phyllo sheet. Brush with melted butter. Arrange half of pear mixture in log along 1 short end of phyllo, leaving 1-inch border at each end of pear mixture. Fold in sides and roll up tightly into log. Brush all over with butter. Transfer to large baking sheet. Repeat with remaining phyllo, butter, and pear mixture. (Strudels can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake strudels until golden brown, about 18 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Transfer 1 strudel to cutting board. Cut on diagonal into 12 pieces. Repeat with remaining strudel. Transfer to platter and serve.
This recipe yields about 24 pieces.