Pacific-Rim Caesar Salad
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced lemongrass (available at Asian markets and in the produce section of some supermarkets)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (nam pla) (available at Asian markets and in the Asian foods section of many supermarkets)
- 2 garlic cloves peeled
- 2 teaspoons chili-garlic sauce (available at Asian markets and in the Asian foods section of many supermarkets)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large romaine lettuce head torn bite size (abt 15 cups loosely packed)
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese - (packed) abt 3 oz
Heat heavy small skillet over medium-low heat. Add sesame seeds and stir until toasted and golden, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
Combine lime juice and next 7 ingredients in processor; process until well blended. With processor running, add vegetable oil in slow stream; process until slightly thickened. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
Place lettuce in large bowl. Add dressing and 3/4 cup Parmesan; toss to combine. Divide salad among 6 plates; sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and toasted sesame seeds.
This recipe yields 6 first-course servings.
Top this salad with seared tuna or scallops to make it into a main course for four.