ACHIOTE STEAK TOCOS
- Achiote marinade:
- ◾ 2lbs Skirt steak
- ◾ Achiote marinade
- ◾ Salt and pepper
- ◾ 1/2 a package of achiote paste (50g)
- ◾ 1 tsp ground cumin
- ◾ 1/2 tbsp black pepper
- ◾ 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- ◾ 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- ◾ 1 jalapeno peppers, rough chop (optional)
- ◾ 2 Fresno peppers, rough chop (optional)
- ◾ 1/4 cup bitter orange juice
- ◾ 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- ◾ 4 garlic cloves
- ◾ 1 tbsp sea salt
- ◾ 5 small lemons
- ◾ 1 shot tequila
1. Combine the anchiote paste, cumin, pepper, cloves, and allspice in a food processor or blender. Add the chopped jalapeno and Fresno peppers with the orange juice, vinegar, garlic and salt. Blend the dry spices with the liquid until smooth.
2. Squeeze and add the juice of lemons and the tequila. Blend again until it is well mixed.
3. Place the skirt steak in a large 2-gal zip lock bag and add the marinade. Marinate for a few hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
4. Setup the grill for direct cooking. Get a hot grill at 600+ degrees. I used peach wood for smoky flavor, any fruitwood is ideal.
5. Cook the steak until a crust starts to form the underside.
6. When both sides are seared, remove from the grill and let them rest on a plate for 5 minutes.
Serve with taco topping: Cheese, tomatoes, cilantro, etc.