Three Cup Chicken
- 1/3C.1/3 C. soy sauce
- 1/3C.1/3 C. Shaoxing wine or dry sherry
- 1T.1 T. packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2lbs.1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs trimmed and cut into 2" pieces
- 3T.3 T. vegetable oil
- 11 (2") piece of ginger, peeled, halved lengthwise, and sliced into thin half rounds
- 1212 garlic cloves, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 1/2 - 3/4t.1/2 - 3/4 t. red pepper flakes
- 66 scallions, white and green parts separated and sliced thin on bias
- 1T.1 T. water
- 1t.1 t. cornstarch
- 1C.1 C. Thai basil leaves, large leaves sliced in half lengthwise
- 1T.1 T. toasted sesame oil
1. Place rice in fine mesh strainer set over bowl. Rinse under running water, swishing with your hands, until water runs clear. Drain thoroughly.
2. Bring rice and water to boil in saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, uncovered, until water level drops below surface of rice and small holes form, about 5 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until rice is tender and water is fully absorbed, about 15 minutes. Serve.
For the Chicken:
1. Whisk soy sauce, wine, and sugar together in medium bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat; set aside.
2. Heat vegetable oil, ginger, garlic, and pepper flakes in a 12" nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until garlic is golden brown and beginning to soften, 8-10 minutes.
3. Whisk water and cornstarch together in a small bowl, then stir into sauce; simmer until sauce is thickened, about 1 minute. Remove skillet from heat. Stir in basil, sesame oil, and scallion greens. Transfer to a plate and serve with rice.