Mashed Potatoes With Jerusalem Artichokes And Chives
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 pounds Jerusalem artichokes (sunchokes)
- 3 pounds russet potatoes peeled, and cut into 2" pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter - (1/2 stick)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Fill large pot half full with cold water; add lemon juice. Peel artichokes, cut into 1" pieces and add to pot. Bring to boil. Cover and boil until artichokes are almost tender, about 20 minutes. Drain.
Return artichokes to pot. Add potatoes, salt, and enough water to cover vegetables; bring to boil. Cover and boil until potatoes and artichokes are very tender, about 25 minutes. Drain. Return vegetables to pot; set over low heat. Add crème fraîche and butter. Mash until mixture is almost smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Rewarm over medium-low heat, stirring frequently.)
Stir in chives. Transfer to bowl and serve.
This recipe yields 8 servings.