Caprese Mac and Cheese
- kosher salt
- 1 1 1 lb. cavatappi
- 1/2 1/2 1/2 c. (1 stick) Unsalted butter
- 2 2 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 1/2 1/2 c. flour
- 5 5 5 c. whole milk
- 1/2 1/2 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- pinch pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 4 4 c. shredded mozzarella
- 1 1 1 c. freshly grated Parmesan
- 4 4 4 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 2 2 tbsp. fresh basil, sliced
- 1/4 1/4 1/4 c. Italian bread crumbs
- Balsamic glaze, for drizzling
Adapted from delish.com
TOTAL TIME: 1:00
Preheat oven to 375°. Butter a 9”-x-13” baking dish. In a large pot of salted, boiling water, cook pasta until al dente. Drain and set aside.
In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt 1 stick butter. Stir in garlic then sprinkle over flour and cook until slightly golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
Pour in milk and whisk until combined. Season with Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Let simmer until starting to thicken, about 5 minutes.
Remove pan from heat and whisk in mozzarella then 1 cup Parmesan. Continue whisking until smooth. Stir in cooked pasta and transfer to prepared baking dish.
Sprinkle Italian bread crumbs on top then cover the top with tomato slices. Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper.
Bake until bubbly and golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Garnish with basil and drizzle with balsamic glaze. Let sit 10 minutes before serving.