Jalapeño-Monterey Jack Grits
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 red bell pepper cut 1" strips (abt 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 yellow bell pepper cut 1" strips (abt 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon minced seeded jalapeño chili
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 3 cups chicken stock (or canned low-salt chicken broth)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 1/2 cups grated hot-pepper Monterey Jack cheese (abt 6 oz)
Melt butter in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add both peppers, jalapeño, and garlic; sauté until peppers are tender, about 5 minutes.
Bring stock and cream to boil in heavy large saucepan. Add grits in thin stream, whisking constantly. Whisk until grits are cooked and mixture thickens, about 6 minutes.
Add sautéed pepper mixture and cheese; stir until cheese melts. Season with salt and pepper.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
This colorful side dish would be delicious with roast chicken, steak, or pork.