Ice Cream With Figs Poached In Port And Star Anise
- 1 bottle tawny Port - (750 ml)
- 2 cups water
- 16 dried Calimyrna figs stemmed, each
- cut into 8 wedges
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 whole star anise see * Note
- 1 vanilla bean split lengthwise
- 8 strips lemon peel, 4" by 1/2" ea removed with
- vegetable peeler from 2 lemons (yellow part only)
- 3 pints vanilla ice cream
* Note: Brown star-shaped seedpods available at Asian markets and specialty foods stores and in the spice section of some supermarkets.
Combine first 7 ingredients in heavy large saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat and simmer until figs soften, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
Using slotted spoon, transfer figs to bowl. Increase heat to high and boil poaching liquid until syrupy and reduced to 1 1/3 cups, about 20 minutes. Pour syrup over figs in bowl. Cool. Refrigerate until cold, at least 2 hours. (Can be made 4 days ahead. Cover and keep refrigerated.)
Scoop ice cream into dessert goblets. Remove star anise and vanilla bean from fig mixture. Spoon figs and syrup over ice cream and serve.
This recipe yields 8 servings.