Beef Tips with Rice and Gravy
- 1 lb. sirloin tip, stew meat or round steak, cut into bite size pieces
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 onion, medium sized, sliced
- 1 tbsp. bacon grease, butter or vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2 - 3 cup prepared rice
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 70mins
1. Cut beef into 1" cubes
2. Place a medium sized sauce pot on medium heat.
3. Add bacon grease or cooking oil.
4. Add beef.
5. Add onions.
6. Stir the meat and onions until the meat is lightly brown.
7. Add beef broth and bring to a rolling boil.
8. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 1 hour or until beef is tender.
9. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch with cold water, stir well.
10. Slowly add the cornstarch to the beef and broth, stirring constantly.
11. Simmer another 10 minutes or until gravy has thickened.
Prepare the rice:
12. Place rice in a medium size sauce pot.
13. Run cool water in the pot, swirling the rice around until the water runs fairly clear.
14. Drain off the water.
15. Add needed amount of cold water back into the pot.
16. Place pot over medium-high heat and bring to a rolling boil. Cook for about 2 minutes, then reduce heat. Let rice continue to simmer on medium-low heat until most of the water has been absorbed.
17. Watch for small pockets to appear in the rice. Do not stir but watch it carefully.
18. Cover with a tight fitting lid and remove from heat.
19. Let the rice rest, covered, fro about 10 more minutes.
20. Fluff the rice with a fork prior to serving.
21. Place a portion of rice on each plate, add a serving of the beef tips and gravy.