Hummingbird Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Modern twist on the iconic Southern dessert features the same banana pineapple spice cake flavor in cupcake form.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 2/3 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 medium)
- 1 20 ounce can crushed pineapple in juice, drained
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 1 recipe White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 70mins
Adapted from bhg.com
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line eighteen 2 1/2 inch muffin cups with paper bake cups, set aside.
2. In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, baking soda and cloves.
3. In a medium bowl stir together bananas, pineapple, eggs, oil and vanilla. Add banana mixture to flour mixture; stir to combine. Fold in walnuts. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, fill about 3/4's full.
4. Bake 20 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool in pans on wire racks 5 minutes. Remove from pans. Let cool completely on racks.
5. Frost and decorate using white chocolate cream cheese frosting.
Half the frosting recipe if you won't be decorating the cupcakes.