Curried Rice With Cauliflower, Bell Pepper, And Green Onion
- 1/4 cup butter - (1/2 stick)
- 1 tablespoon finely-chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 cups small cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup frozen peas thawed
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add ginger, curry powder, and lemon peel; stir 30 seconds. Mix in cauliflower, bell pepper, and onions, then rice. Add 2 cups water and 3/4 teaspoon salt; bring to boil, stirring occasionally.
Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until water is absorbed and rice is tender, about 18 minutes. Remove from heat. Mix in peas; season with pepper. Cover and let stand 5 minutes.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.
Serve with diced cucumber mixed into yogurt.