Macaroni and Cheese Casserole
- 8 oz (2 cups) elbow macaroni
- salt and pepper
- 8 oz mild cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 large eggs plus 1 large yolk, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 4 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (1 cup)
1. Adjust oven rack to upper middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees F. Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large saucepan. Add macaroni and 1 Tbsp salt and cook for 5 minutes. Drain macaroni and set aside. Toss mild cheddar with cornstarch and set aside.
2. in now-empty saucepan, melt 1 Tbsp butter over medium-low heat. Add panko and cook, stirring constantly, until golden, about 4 minutes. Transfer to bowl and reserve.
3. Return saucepan to medium heat and melt remaining 3 Tbsp butter. Add onion and cook until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in flour, mustard, 1/2 tsp salt, 3/4 tsp pepper and cayenne and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Whisk in water and cream and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.
4. Remove cream sauce from heat and whisk in mild cheddar-cornstarch mixture until melted. Whisk in eggs, yolk and worcestershire. Stir in par-cooked macaroni. Transfer macaroni and cheese to 8 inch square baking dish. Sprinkle with sharp cheddar cheese, then panic. Bake until well browned and set, 20-25 minutes. Let rest for 20 minutes and serve.