Cherry Streusel Bars
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 16 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces and chilled
- CHERRY FILLING:
- 2 cups (9 oz) frozen sweet cherries, thawed
- 1 cup cherry preserves
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, chopped
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces and softened
1. FOR THE CRUST: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees F. Make foil sling for 13x9 inch baking pan by folding two long sheets of aluminum foil; first sheet should be 13 inches wide and second sheet should be 9 inches wide. Lay sheets of foil in pan perpendicular to each other, with extra foil hanging over edges of pan. Push foil into corners and up sides of pan, smoothing foil flush to pan. Spray foil lightly with vegetable oil spray.
2. Process flour, sugar and salt in food processor until combined, about 5 seconds. Add butter and pulse until mixture resemble wet sand, about 15 pulses.
3. Transfer 1 1/4 cups dough to medium bowl and set aside. Transfer remaining dough to prepared pan and use your hands to evenly distribute it over bottom of pan (dough will be slightly dry). Using bottom of dry measuring cup, firmly press dough into even layer. Bake until light golden brown, 16-18 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking.
4. FOR THE CHERRY FILLING: Meanwhile, wipe processor bowl clean with paper towels. Pulse all ingredients in food processor until finely chopped, about 7 pulses; set aside.
5. FOR THE STREUSEL: Add oats, almonds and sugar to reserved dough and toss to combine. Add butter and rub mixture between your fingers until butter is fully incorporated and mixture forms small clumps. Set aside streusel.
6. Transfer filling to pan and spread evenly over crust (crust need not be cooled). Sprinkle streusel evenly over filling (do not press streusel into filling). Bake until filling is bubbling and streusel is deep golden brown, 24-28 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking. transfer pan to wire rack and let bars cool completely. Using foil overhand, lift bars out of pan. Cut into 24 squares and serve