Ropa Vieja II - Slow Cooker
The contents of the slow cooker will look dry at the start, but the ingredients will release moisture after a couple of hours of cooking. Serve with white rice
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, halved and sliced thin
- 2 red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and sliced into 1/2-inch wide strips
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 (2 lb) flank steak, trimmed and cut crosswise against grain into 4 equal pieces
- 3/4 cup pitted green olives, sliced
- 1 Tbsp distilled white vinegar
1. Heat oil in a 12 inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onions and bell peppers and cook, covered, until softened and spotty brown, 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Push vegetables to sides of skillet. Add tomato paste, garlic, cumin, oregano and 1/2 tsp salt to center and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir vegetables into tomato paste mixture. Add wine and cook until nearly evaporated, about 2 minutes. Transfer vegetable mixture, soy sauce, and bay leaves to slow cooker. Season steak with salt and pepper and nestle into vegetable mixture. Cover and cook until meat is very tender, 6-7 hours on low or 5-6 hours on high.
3. Transfer steak to cutting board. Discard bay leaves. Using 2 forks, shred steak into bite-size pieces, then return it to the slow cooker. Stir in olives and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.