- 4 bacon slices coarsely chopped
- 3 pounds fully-cooked smoked sausages cut crosswise
- into 3/4"-thk rounds - (such as kielbasa)
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 6 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 3 cans Great Northern beans - (15 oz ea) drained
- 2 cans diced tomatoes in juice - (14 1/2 oz ea)
- 1 package frozen baby lima beans - (10 oz) thawed
- 1 cup canned low-salt chicken broth or more if needed
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cups coarse fresh breadcrumbs (made from crustless French bread)
- 1/2 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cook bacon in heavy large ovenproof pot over medium-high heat until brown and crisp, about 4 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to bowl. Add sausages to drippings in pot; sauté until brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer to bowl with bacon.
Pour off all but 1/4 cup drippings from pot. Add onions and garlic to pot and sauté until beginning to soften, about 10 minutes. Stir in rosemary, thyme, and crushed red pepper. Add brandy and simmer until almost evaporated, about 3 minutes. Stir in canned beans, tomatoes with juices, lima beans, 1 cup broth, tomato paste, and allspice.
Return sausages and bacon to pot. Season cassoulet with salt and pepper. Bring to boil. Cover pot and transfer to preheated oven; bake 30 minutes. (Can be made up to 2 days ahead. Uncover; cool 1 hour. Refrigerate uncovered until cold; cover and keep refrigerated. Before continuing, cover and rewarm in 350 degrees oven 40 minutes, adding more broth if dry.)
Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and sauté until light golden, about 4 minutes. Transfer to small bowl. Mix in Parmesan cheese; season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle over warm cassoulet. Bake until breadcrumb topping is deep golden, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle cassoulet with parsley and serve.
This recipe yields 8 to 10 servings.