Red Wine Chocolate Cake
Cabernet Sauvignon is a good choice for this cake
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (4 oz) melted, plus more for greasing
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 cup Cabernet Sauvignon, at room temperature
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 (3 oz) semisweet chocolate baking bar, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, diced
- 1 Tbsp light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 Tbsp Cabernet Sauvignon, warmed
- Flaky sea salt
1. Make the Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 inch round cake pan with butter and line with parchment paper. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and kosher salt in a medium bowl. Whisk together the granulated sugar, egg and the melted butter, in a large bowl, until pale; whisk in 1 cup wine and vanilla. Add flour mixture and whisk to combine
2. Scrape the batter into prepared pan and smooth top. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. Let cake cool completely.
3. Make the Ganache: Place chopped chocolate, diced butter and corn syrup in a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH in 20 second intervals until melted, stirring between intervals. Stir in powdered sugar and 2 Tbsp wine. Let stand at room temperature until slightly thickened.
4. Invert cake onto a plate and invert again onto a platter. Spread ganache on top, letting it drip down the sides. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt and let stand until ganache is set, about 30 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve.