Chicken and Penne in Vodka Cream Sauce Recipe
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 small shallots, minced (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced (about 4 teaspoons)
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes packed in juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 6 tablespoons vodka
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, sliced crosswise against the grain into 1/2-inch thick strips
- 1 pound dried penne pasta
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. In large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add shallots and cook, stirring, until softened and just beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Transfer shallot mixture to blender. Add tomatoes (with juice) and tomato paste. Blend until smooth.
Transfer tomato mixture back to skillet and stir in chili flakes, vodka, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and sugar. Bring to boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened and flavors are melded, about 15 minutes. Stir in cream and season to taste. Stir in chicken and cook until just cooked through, about 2 minutes. Keep warm while pasta cooks.
Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, place garlic bread in oven and bake until cheese is starting to brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with parsley. Drain cooked pasta, reserving 1 cup of pasta water. Toss pasta with sauce, adding pasta water as necessary until sauce reaches desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper if necessary. Stir in basil. Serve pasta and bread immediately, passing additional cheese tableside if desired.