BROCCOLI AND CHEESE STUFFED CHICKEN BREAST
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in half and butterflied (sliced through the middle-but not all the way through, to make a pocket)
- 1 1⁄2 cups steamed broccoli
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or cubed Velveeta for a smoother sauce)
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 ⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (not a typo, another 1/2 cup)
- salt and pepper
- garlic powder
Make cheese sauce: Melt butter in a small sauce pan, and then add flour and stir well.
Add milk gradually, whisking constantly to avoid lumps.
Add salt, pepper and garlic powder, and stir constantly until thickened.
Add 1/2 cup cheddar and the cream cheese, and stir to melt.
Add 1/4 cup of the broccoli pieces, and stir to combine.
Make chicken: Open butterflied chicken pieces.
Sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Place a bit of steamed broccoli and a bit of cheese in each.
Fold over, and seal with toothpicks.
Heat about 1-2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat, and brown chicken on all sides, until cooked thoroughly.
Place chicken in a small casserole dish, and pour cheese sauce over.
This may either be browned in the oven, or served as is.