Chili Cheese Frito Pie
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium sized onion, minced finely
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- dash of seasoning salt or salt free seasoning
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp of chopped cilantro
- 1 large bag of Frito Lay Chips
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- green onions & diced tomatoes for garnishing (optional)
Adapted from iheartrecipes.com
1. Cook ground beef over medium heat; Drain fat.
2. Add finely minced onion followed by garlic, stirring to mix well after each addition.
3. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and water; Stir to mix.
4. Add sugar, seasoning salt, cumin, chili powder, and black pepper; Stir to mix.
5. Add green onions and chopped cilantro; Stir to mix.
6. Simmer for 20-25 minutes.
7. Pour fritos in serving dish; Layer with chili and cheese on top.
8. Broil until cheese melts.
9. Sprinkle with green onions and diced tomato as optional garnish.