Pesto Chicken Florentine
- Homemade white sauce:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into strips
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1 (4.5 ounce) package dry Alfredo sauce mix
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- 1 (8 ounce) package dry penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon grated Romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic, saute for 1 minute; then add chicken and cook for 7 to 8 minutes on each side. When chicken is close to being cooked through (no longer pink inside), add spinach and saute all together for 3 to 4 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare Alfredo sauce according to package directions. Or, make your own white sauce. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and stir until the butter and flour are well combined. Pour in milk, stirring constantly as it thickens. Add more milk depending on desired consistency. When finished, stir in 2 tablespoons pesto; set aside.
In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook pasta for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente. Rinse under cold water and drain.
Add chicken/spinach mixture to pasta, then stir in pesto/Alfredo sauce. Mix well, top with cheese and serve.