The Southfield Store Holiday French Toast
- The Southfield Store Apple Cranberry Compote:
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of one orange
- 1 tablespoon clarified butter
- 8 slices Challah bread, cut into 1-inch-thick slices
- Apple Cranberry Compote, recipe follows
- Pecan Compound Butter, recipe follows
- Maple Syrup Reduction, recipe follows
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, for garnish
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Zest of one orange
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into a 1/2-inch dice
- The Southfield Store Pecan Compound Butter:
- 1/2 cup pecans
- Kosher salt
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- The Southfield Store Maple Syrup Reduction:
- 1 cup maple syrup
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Whisk together the eggs and heavy cream in a large bowl and add the granulated sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and orange zest and whisk again.
Heat some clarified butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Dip four slices of the Challah into the egg mixture until soaked through. Immediately place each slice onto the hot skillet. Fry until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side, and set aside. Repeat with the remaining 4 slices of bread.
Cut each piece of French toast in half diagonally and plate four halves per serving. Top with Apple Cranberry Compote, a scoop of Pecan Compound Butter and a light drizzle of the Maple Syrup Reduction. Dust with powdered sugar and enjoy!
The Southfield Store Apple Cranberry Compote:
Add the cranberries, orange juice, sugar, orange zest and apples to a large skillet and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until the apples are cooked as desired.
The Southfield Store Pecan Compound Butter:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Place the pecans on a cookie sheet and bake for about 10 minutes, or until they become aromatic and heated through. Salt immediately while still hot. Allow the pecans cool completely.
Once the pecans are completely cool, chop them up into small pieces and add to the butter, until incorporated. Set aside until ready to serve, or refrigerate.
The Southfield Store Maple Syrup Reduction:
Place the maple syrup in a small saucepan and heat over low heat until reduced by one-half. Use sparingly to top off French toast.