Cherry Meringue Dessert
- 6 egg whites
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups crushed saltines (about 60 crackers)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- 1 can (20 ounces) reduced-sugar cherry pie filling
Adapted from tasteofhome.com
In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff glossy peaks form. Fold in saltines and pecans.
Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned and edges begin to crack. Cool on a wire rack. Spread whipped topping over crust. Carefully spoon pie filling over top.
Yield: 15 servings.
One piece equals 241 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 129 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein