Two-Bean Chili With Vegetables
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions chopped
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can crushed tomatoes - (28 oz)
- 1 can beef broth - (14 1/2 oz)
- 2 medium white potatoes peeled, diced
- 2 large carrots peeled, diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 3/4 cup chili sauce
- 1 can kidney beans - (15 1/4 oz) drained
- 1 can pinto beans - (15 oz) drained
Melt butter in heavy large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and saute until almost golden, about 8 minutes. Add beef and cook until brown, breaking beef up with fork, about 10 minutes. Stir in chili powder, cumin and cayenne and continue cooking 3 minutes.
Mix in tomatoes, broth, potatoes, carrots, bell pepper and chili sauce. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 1 hour. Stir in beans. Simmer until beans are heated through and vegetables are very tender, about 30 minutes.
This recipe yields 6 servings.