Super Spinach Salad
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion cut 1" chunks
- 1/4 cup brown sugar - (firmly packed)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons catsup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 4 bacon slices
- 1 bunch spinach washed, trimmed, and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 1/2 cups bean sprouts
- 6 mushrooms sliced
- 4 green onions sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced canned water chestnuts
- 2 hard-boiled eggs chopped
- 1/4 cup dry-roasted sunflower seeds
Puree first 7 ingredients in blender or processor until smooth and emulsified. Set dressing aside.
Cook bacon in heavy medium skillet over medium heat until crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels. Crumble. Combine spinach and remaining ingredients in large bowl. Add enough dressing to season to taste. Toss well. Garnish salad with bacon and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.