Strawberry, Citrus, And Champagne
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 pounds large ripe strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 1/2 cups dry Champagne
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Grand Marnier (or other orange liqueur)
Combine 3/4 cup sugar and 3/4 cup water in heavy small saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat and boil 1 minute. Cool. Refrigerate syrup until cold, about 45 minutes.
Puree enough strawberries (about 6 large) in blender to yield 1/2 cup puree. Transfer strawberry puree to large bowl. Mix grapefruit juice, Champagne, lemon juice and chilled syrup into strawberry puree. Pour mixture into 13- by 9- by 2-inch metal baking pan.
Freeze Champagne mixture until icy at edge of pan, about 55 minutes. Whisk to distribute frozen portions evenly. Freeze again until icy at edge of pan and overall texture is slushy, about 40 minutes. Whisk to distribute frozen portions evenly. Cover and freeze until mixture is solid, about 3 hours.
Meanwhile, slice remaining strawberries. Place in large bowl and toss with remaining 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup Grand Marnier. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes and up to 3 hours.
Using fork, scrape granita down length of pan, forming ice flakes. (Granita can be prepared up to 2 days ahead of time. Cover and freeze until ready to serve.)
Divide sliced strawberries equally among 6 wine glasses. Top with granita and serve immediately.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (760 Votes)
- Cilantro Lime Salad Dressing 4.5/5 (170 Votes)
- New England Seafood Chowder 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Mashed Potatoes With Green Onions... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pasta With Butternut Squash And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Apricot Bread Pudding With Caramel... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Dried Cranberry Compote 0/5 (0 Votes)