Rice Pilaf With Peas And Pine Nuts
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 3/4 cup long-grain white rice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 cups canned chicken broth
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onion and saute until tender, about 3 minutes. Add rice and turmeric and stir 1 minute. Mix in broth. Cover and simmer over low heat until rice is almost tender, about 15 minutes.
Add peas, cover and continue simmering until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl and sprinkle with toasted pine nuts.
This recipe yields 2 servings.