Quick Choucroute Garnie
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound fully-cooked smoked sausage (kielbasa) cut 3" lengths, then halved lengthwise
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound purchased sauerkraut drained
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage, cut-side down, and cook until browned on bottom, about 3 minutes. Turn over sausage; add onions, and sauté until onions are beginning to soften, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer until flavors blend, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.