Martha Stewart Saucy Shrimp and grits
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 cup coarse grits (not quick-cooking)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 slices bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Great Value Minced Garlic, 32 oz
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, in juice
- 1 pound large (31 to 35) peeled and deveined frozen shrimp, thawed
. In a medium saucepan, bring 4 1/2 cups water to a boil over high; season with salt and pepper. Whisk in grits; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover, and cook, whisking occasionally, until grits are creamy and tender, about 25 minutes; stir in butter.
2. After grits have cooked for 15 minutes, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium until browned, 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Add onion and garlic to fat in skillet; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender and browned, 6 minutes.
3. To skillet, add tomatoes (with their juice) and 1/4 cup water; bring to a boil. Add shrimp; cook, stirring, until opaque throughout, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in hot sauce. Serve over grits, sprinkled with bacon.