Chicken-and-Shrimp Kebabs with Summer Vegetables and Basil Oil
From Southern Living July 2017
- 12 (10-inch) wooden skewers
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves (about 1 oz)
- 1 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1 tsp black pepper, divided
- 2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 36 (1-inch) cubes
- 2 medium-size red bell peppers, cut into 24 (1-inch) pieces
- 2 medium-size yellow bell peppers, cut into 24 (1-inch) pieces
- 1 medium-size red onion, cut into 36 (1-inch) pieces
- 1 medium-size zucchini, cut into 24 (1/2-inch-thcik) half-moons
- 36 peeled and deveined raw medium shrimp (about 12 oz)
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 50mins
Soak wooden skewers in water 30 minutes; drain. Meanwhile, bring 2 cups water to a boil in a small saucepan over high. Add fresh basil, and cook, stirring constantly, until leaves wilt. Drain and pat leaves dry with a paper towel. Place basil, vinegar, ½ cup of the olive oil, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and ½ teaspoon of the black pepper in a blender. Process until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes.
Preheat grill to medium (350 to 400). Thread 6 chicken cubes, 2 red bell pepper pieces, 2 yellow bell pepper pieces, 3 onion pieces, and 2 zucchini pieces alternately onto each of 6 skewers, threading each with 6 shrimp.
Repeat procedure with remaining 6 skewers, threading each with 6 shrimp, 2 red bell pepper pieces, 2 yellow bell pepper pieces, 3 onion pieces, and 2 zucchini pieces. Drizzle skewers evenly with remaining ¼ cup olive oil, and sprinkle evenly with remaining 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper.
Grill, uncovered, until chicken and shrimp are done and vegetables are lightly charred, 3 to 5 minutes per side. (Shrimp kebabs will cook more quickly than chicken kebabs.) Transfer kebabs to a serving platter as they finish cooking. Brush evenly with half of the basil oil. Serve with remaining basil oil for dipping or drizzling.