Pear And Cranberry Crisp
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup golden brown sugar - (firmly packed)
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chilled unsalted butter - (1 stick) cut into pieces
- 7 large firm ripe pears - (abt 3 1/2lbs) peeled, cored, and cut lengthwise into eighths
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
For Topping: Combine first 4 ingredients in medium bowl. Add butter and cut in using fingertips or pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
For Filling: Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Butter 8-inch square baking dish with 2-inch-high sides. Toss all ingredients in bowl to combine well. Transfer to prepared dish.
Sprinkle topping evenly over filling. Set dish on baking sheet and transfer to oven. Bake until topping is golden and juices bubble thickly, about 1 hour. Cool at least 20 minutes before serving.
This recipe yields 6 servings.