Mediterranean Chickpea Latkes
- 1 can garbanzo beans - (15 oz) rinsed, drained (chickpeas)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 3 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons olive oil or more if needed
- Pomegranate seeds (optional)
Blend garbanzo beans, garlic, and rosemary in processor to coarse paste. Add eggs, 6 tablespoons water and extra-virgin olive oil; blend until smooth. Add flour, cumin, salt, pepper, and baking powder and blend. Pour batter into bowl.
Heat 6 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Working in batches, drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls into hot oil. Cook until golden, about 1 minute per side. Using slotted spatula, transfer latkes to paper towels to drain. Add more oil to skillet as necessary and allow to get hot before adding more batter.
Transfer latkes to plates. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds, if desired, and serve.
This recipe yields about 24 latkes.