Indian-Spiced Rice With Lentils
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1 cup basmati rice (available at Indian markets and some supermarkets)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 pieces cinnamon stick - (1" ea)
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger
- 4 1/3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Rinse lentils; drain. Place in small bowl. Rinse rice; drain. Place in another small bowl.
Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add cinnamon, cloves, and cumin; sauté about 2 minutes. Add garlic and ginger; sauté about 30 seconds. Add water, salt, sugar, and turmeric; bring to boil. Reduce heat; add lentils and cook 8 minutes.
Increase heat to high. Add rice and boil 5 minutes. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until lentils and rice are tender and liquid is absorbed, about 8 minutes longer. Remove from heat; let stand covered 5 minutes.
Transfer rice to large bowl. Remove cinnamon stick pieces and cloves. Mix in cilantro and lime juice.
This recipe yields 6 servings.